This is a simple, tried and tested, Prosciutto style air dried ham for those wanting reliable results in a relatively short turnaround.
First you will need to create the spice block. This mix will give some mild but worthwhile aroma and a nice flavour for general use. Obvioulsy this mix can be customised as you see fit as long as the ‘functional’ ingredients (the salt and Cure #2) remain in the given ratios.
Bulk Cure Mix
- 250 g light brown sugar
- 350 g coarse sea salt
- 25 g cure 2 (alternative name Prague powder 2)
- 40 g coarse ground black pepper
- 10 g ground juniper berries
- 25 g ground garlic powder
44g per kg in two hits so total of 88g per kg
The process is simplicity itself and would suit both bone in and boned out legs. It creates a product that is equally suitable for home use or general purpose deli sales stock.
- Ensure ham is clean and dried off.
- Rub on 44g per kg of cure mix above.
- Wrap tightly in cling film (saran) until completely sealed and secure, or vac bag if you have a big enough one (best way).
- Fridge for two weeks with weight on (or stacked) to compress and flatten out the ham..
- Unwrap and repeat 1 to 4 above.
- Unwrap rinse, dry off and hang in to dry off overnight
- Hang in in your chamber for min 90 days