This simple back bacon recipe will fill your house with wonderful maple aromas, as you cook it. Simple and a wonderful flavored product for both the inexperienced as well as veterans of this wonderful hobby.
- Pork loin
- Salt at 2.5%
- Maple sugar at 3%
- Cure 1 at 0.25%
- Espelette pepper powder (can substitute paprika) at 0.5%
- Granulated garlic or garlic powder at 0.5%
- Ground sage at 0.1%
- Apply cure to meat and loosely vacuum seal. I like to be able to work ingredients around for even distribution on meat when drying.
- Remove meat from cure and allow it to sit open air, for 48 hours in the refrigerator to dry the surface of the meat
- Cold smoke for 8-10 hours, over your preference of woods. I personally use pecan.
- Allow meat to rest for 7 days in a curing chamber open air, or under vacuum if no chamber is available, to let smoke mellow
- Slice, package, and cook as desired.