This is a simple and reliable method for producing a measured cure/EQ style air dried ham (good to be adapted for any whole muscle) and will give a nice mild ‘Prosciutto’ style product. It was adapted from a great method from Franco Sotgiu and is a good way for beginners to try out a parma style project and also a simple, foolproof procedure for those wanting consistent reliable hams.
Simple EQ ‘Prosciutto’ Style Ham
- Bulk Cure Mix:
- 350g coarse sea salt
- 25g cure#2 (alternative name Prague powder 2)
- 250g light brown sugar
- 40g coarse ground black pepper
- 10g ground juniper berries
- 25g garlic powder
- Cure application: 44g per kg in two stages (so total of 88g per kg)
- Ensure ham is clean and dried off.
- Weigh meat carefully and Rub on 44g per kg of cure mix above.
- Wrap very tightly in film (saran) or vac bag if you have a big enough one (best way).
- Fridge for two weeks with weight on.
- Unwrap and repeat the same 4 steps above.
- Unwrap rinse, dry off and hang in relatively warm space overnight.
- Hang in in your chamber for min 90 days (10-12c/Low 50'sF and mid 70s RH).